Smartphone competition is hot and heavy, and there are more choices all the time. In this crowded marketplace, many people have had to decided between the iPhone and the Motorola Droid or the HTC Droid Eris. If you've gone through this decision, let us know how you decided and what you bought - it'll help others make a good decision. Share Your Reasons
- My first cell was the Motorola Brickphone in the '90s. I owned cells from Nokia and such, so I bought the iPhone 5 basically for the thin profile. It looks cool and the chicks dig it. Samsungs are plastic and might bend and warp in my pocket like the Blackberry. iPhone's aluminum body is sturdy and tough enough to slam into a wall and keeps ticking (joke).
- —Guest mardigus
Trading in Eris for iPhone4
- Loved the HTC Eris at first, but like others experienced it began to run slow. Using the App Killer works somewhat but is also self-defeating. If you have an Eris with a screen that flies to one side or the other, get it replaced via warranty! It's a known issue. I cannot wait for the iPhone4 to arrive -- one device to do it all. YIPPEE!
- —Guest llsk
Sticking with Eris
- I really wanted an iPhone when I got my Eris in 2/2010 cut couldn't bring myself to leave VZW. But having become accustomed to the HTC phone, I'm truly sold on it. I love the customizable experience, the open market with tons of free apps, and the look of it. I contemplated switching to iPhone 4 on VZW, but ultimately decided I am really happy with my phone. My sole complaint is the inability to save hoggy apps (Contacts, FB, Tweetdeck, Maps) to the SD card. If this phone were eligible for an upgrade to Froyo (which apparently allows you to choose where to store apps), I'd be sure I'm keeping this for a very long time. The iPhone4 also has markedly better video streaming, but I don't use my phone for that much, so don't consider it a huge issue.
Eris is so-so
- This was my 1st smartphone and I got the Eris because of the price point -$99. My experience is it's laggy. I can't be sure I'm going to get email or texts, and can't rely on the alarm clock. I've reset to factory once because I could no longer make calls. Have to run task killer to shut down apps that seem to start themselves like stocks and footprints which I never use. I'm looking to get an iPhone 4 when verizon comes out with it in a couple weeks.
- —Guest steve
- It's hard to believe that so many people like the Eris- I've had 3 within a year, worst phone I've ever had. Lagging, text messages won't delete after 100, better yet 50 at a time.. no key pad, the screen randomly scrolls all over sometimes. I cannot wait for the iPhone 4.
- —Guest sara
- I had the eris but it became horribly laggy. So i got the moto droid and its really fast and the battery is way better. I love the open develpment and launchers. Although, id rather have the droid x. Or even better the iphone 4. Anyways, the motorola droid is a great phone and I'd recommend it, but probably try the droid x first if you don't need a physical keyboard, its bigger, higher res, and better camera too. Droidddd
- —Guest jon w
- you people havent even seen the iphone 4 in action. its a driod killer. all the droid is a wannabe iphone. how bout droid makes there own design!
- —Guest droidkiller
- I had the palm pre plus...it lasted 2 days, verizon gave me another one..that one also malfunctioned...WHATEVER U DO DO NOT GET PALM. IT IS THE WORST PHONE. after i shared my frustation to verizon...they credited my bill and swapped it for htc droid eris....i have to say its the best phone ive ever owned
- —Guest paul
- Having had both an iPhone and an Eris, it's Eris all the way, baby!!
- —Guest erislover
i has the eris
- i dont like how a new iphone comes out like every day outdating the old but barely better, when eris has everything already. if u dont wanna get ripped, eris all the way!
- —Guest verizonnnnn
- the eris is awesome! it does everything i need..now if we could do something about the phone bill! its as big as my cable bill and I have the triple play! lol
- —Guest JR
I love it ERIS
- Great Phone, Good Size, Good price that I Phone can't Bet, you can find lots free program from the market place, If your in the market thinking to get a I Phone, you must try out this HTC ERIS for the performance and the price, that I Phone can't compare!
- —Guest Weijer
- bought the droid- hate everything about it. No iphone for sure. Trading it in for an eris tomorrow.
- —Guest cow
DROID Eris is the way to go!
- I was in exactly this situation! I seriously could not decide between these three smartphones, iPhone, Motorola DROID & DROID ERIS. After extensive research I decided on the DROID ERIS. I had many reservations about leaving Verizon to go to AT&T, and about the iPhone itself. The Motorola DROID I just wasn't thrilled about it's appearance and blocky look. The DROID ERIS I thought maybe it wouldn't be all I wanted. After calling Verizon to inquire as to the cost of disconnecting early from my contract, they asked me why. I was honest and told them my dilemma. Because I was a forever Verizon customer, they gave me an offer I could not refuse... The DROID ERIS for free ($79 + rebate = FREE!). After receiving it I have been blown away by this smartphone. It has everything I could have imagined and more. Easy to use after I oriented myself and I still got to keep Verizon's reliable network. I am in love with my new ERIS and highly recommend it!!!
- —Guest HappyErisUser
Eris and iPhone 3gs owner
- I have had my iPhone for 6 months and really don't have any complaints. My wife just bought the eris and I must say it is a wonderful phone! Verizon is a true leader in coverage and customer service, and they currently have a buy one for 79 (after rebate) get one free on the eris and I'm probably going to give up my iPhone for am eris as well. Bottom line, the iPhone is glamorous but reliability is key. Furthermore there isn't much, if anything, that the eris can't do!
1-15 of 32Next