From the article: International iPhone: Avoiding iPhone Data Roaming Charges
We've all heard horror stories about people getting hit with huge cell phone bills they weren't expecting. Tales of US$10,000 monthly bills aren't uncommon. Has this happened to you? Whether your bill was $10,000 or $100, tell your story here. Tell Your Story
That sounds familiar
- I went to Nigeria for 8 weeks and had called AT&T about how to manage things whilst I was away. I was told to turn Airplane Mode on and to turn Fetch Data and Data Roaming off. They said my unlimited data plan would keep me in good stead. When I got home I had a $4,000 phone bill with an attitude attached. My brother had paid for my trip and I hadn't been working for several months and this was obscene- to quote a prior quoter- I was informed that I would pay it..........period. I have been with AT&T for nearly 10 years and if I could find another company that would make him happy I surely would.
$4000HKD for 29MB
- I have an iPhone 5 and use iTunes Match. So I was travelling to Macau for the day and I was listening to my music with the intention of turning off my data roaming as iI crossed international waters, but I fell asleep! I woke up to a text that said my data bill was 4000.00 dollars in 3 minutes. Luckily they had cut it off there. Not sure what I can do about this. Any advice? The kicker is that they have a plan that lets me have 50 MB of data for 160 dollars. So stupid!
- —Guest Dom
My not-so-great phone bill
- I was on Facebook and I was playing a game I've always wanted to play and you had to buy a life to buy your stuff and I was like, "No I'm not gonna do it." But I was like, "I'm only gonna get yelled at and I'm gonna get away with it," so I did it. Spent over $200.00 ... doing it that once made it like it was ok, I could keep doing it. I got out of control and I couldn't stop. Next thing you know, I got my first phone I ever had taken away and I am a teen right now and if you have a kid who wastes your money on dumb stuff just email me pls. I can help and my bill before was $350.68 and now ... $72.35. My dad gave me another chance and I saw my dad couldn't get what we needed anymore and it broke my heart. So I don't go on tempting websites anymore. I know at least somebody who's reading this will relate. pls. child, teen, adult? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please i can help and for those teens, it's not ok. One day you might go overboard and your parents just might not be able to afford food, bills, even rent. It's not fun.
- —Guest cyra dinneen
There is a solution
- If you travel to Europe, there are several companies that rent flat-fee Mi-Fi hotspots. That solves these problems, since all is prepaid and Internet is unlimited. I myself have used onlineineurope.com, but you could also consider Xcom Global. You get a Mi-FI, pay a small flat fee per day and that's it...
- I have an iPhone 3G. I went to Botswana for 3 weeks came back to a $123,493 phone bill. They told me I had to pay in full and couldn't make monthly payments. I Sued Apple and got 130,000 dollars to make a payment. My advice: Don't go through Verizon. P.S. F*** you Verizon. [I'd love to see some documentation of this. Google doesn't immediately turn up anything and that chain of events doesn't make a lot of sense. Doesn't seem like Apple could be liable for that. -Sam]
- —Guest Pathogenic Bloodshed
Getting charged for restricted phone
- So we've been disputing this matter for past 3 months now. We have two phone plans on $60 a month plan. We turned off our cellular data the day we had phones connected due to having Wi-Fi. We keep getting billed for usage when we don't even use Internet on the phone--only through Wi-Fi. We have rang the carrier several times to dispute this matter but they keep saying we have been using it which is false because we use our home internet Wi-Fi. What do I do? Also because we won't pay the bill until it is resolved, the past 2 months our phones have been blocked to make calls outgoing, but on the bill it says we are using the phones to make calls. How is this possible to make calls & use data, if it is network blocked through the carrier? Can someone help us please?
- —Guest tom
- Just reading through, no story. I'm leaving my phone here home, hahaha. This will save me a lot! Anyways! What can I say, evil corporates. They don't care, they'll still catch you for the love of money. Leave your devices at home, just enjoy your trips and have plenty of fun. It'll be worth it. Worth more than a stupid electronic device that charges you up to 80K. Come on. You go traveling for a reason, and that's to enjoy your moments. My advise ;)
- —Guest TheOfficialEuro
OMFG data plans
- So I went over my data plan in an hour for tuning my Wi-Fi off and using my phone's Wi-Fi...my dad flipped. I changed the name of the contact ... so every time I get a text saying you went over your data plan I go s***...
- —Guest Batavia
- I am from Guatemala, went to Orlando, Fl for 10 days. Before I could get a SIM card (I have an unlocked iPhone) I had to get some info. So I turned roaming on for about 3 to 4 minutes. Big mistake: I was charged US$150 for it.
- —Guest Jcr
Cruise Ship Roaming Data, 4 days $1700
- I have been a loyal AT&T client since 2003. I was told to turn Airplane Mode on and to turn Fetch Data and Data Roaming off. Turned Airplane Mode off once at port and made a 3 min. call. I never emailed pics, used apps or did anything with my phone with data on. Turned Airplane Mode back on. Paid for on-ship Wi-Fi package and used Skype twice for a few minutes on my iPhone 4S. AT&T is investigating to see if they can allow a one-time courtesy and take off $1770 from my bill. I think there is a bug in iPhone 4. I cannot pay this erroneous charge. If they do not take this charge off I'm switching carriers and I may sue Apple if I find others with same claim. It's fraud!!!!!! I have to travel to Ireland next month and even if I buy a data package if I go over and allow data this time, how will I know when I'm over amount? I never received any notification of high data usage. Nothing. I did everything right and still got screwed. It's very upsetting and annoying and frightening. Has this happened to you?
- —Guest Stephanie Clark
Paid for Wi-Fi in hotel room but ...
- I used my iPad for hours in my hotel room. I paid for Wi-Fi. I did not turn off data roaming. I did streamed a lot of movies and YouTube. Will I still be charged for data roaming? At times I see the 3G sign appearing at the top left hand corner. I never used my iPad outside of hotel room. Please advise.
- —Guest Lily cha
Turning Cellular data off didn't work?
- Has anyone else had something like this? We had a Canadian iPhone 4S in the US, and got a package for voice/text, but not data. Turned Cellular Data and 3G off in Settings. Got hit with $708 charge for 120Mb transfer - have no idea how that could have happened. Fought back and got a significant discount, but we know that we should not have had any data transfer at all. Anyone else see something like this?
- —Guest Grrdo
- I have an iPad in Australia. I went to NYC for 5 weeks. Sent emails and went on the Internet. Never got a warning from the telcos. Came home to a $60,000 bill. They say I have to pay. Obscene!!
- —Guest mkem
High Data Roaming Charges
- Received a new iPhone 5 the day I left for an overseas biz trip & in the last day rush forgot to turn off data roam. Bill for 3 weeks = $3,700.00. I think the data roaming should be OFF when you buy a new iPhone; it is with other brands. Maybe one of the reasons Apple sales for iPhone is down 50%. [Data roaming probably should be off by default, but it's not affecting sales. In the last quarter, Apple sold 10 million _more_ iPhones than it did the year before: http://ipod.about.com/b/2013/01/24/ipod-minis-apples-amazing-financials-disappoint-market.htm -- Sam]
- —Guest Just Forgot
- Went to Asia and when I came back my phone stopped working! I called Fido, and they tell me that my bill was 1900 dollars. Luckily though, they brought it down to 200 by putting me into a plan. (thank god!)
- —Guest Jessica
1-15 of 84Next