From the article: Definition of AppleCare Protection Plan
The warranty that comes with iPods and iPhones includes one call to phone support and a year of hardware repairs. For an extra fee, AppleCare will extend phone and repair support for two years. Consumer advocates charge that extended warranties are wasted money that's rarely used, while their defenders cite many examples of instances in which they came in handy. What's your view: is AppleCare worth it or money needlessly spent? Share Your Opinion
Peace of mind
- I purchased it for peace of mind. I haven't had to use it but happy it's there for that just in case time that "Murphy" shows his ugly face!
- —Guest Lisa
AppleCare Is Great!
- Several years ago I spent the big bucks on a 17 in. MacBook Pro and AppleCare. Every year they replaced the hard drive. I might have filled it too much with photos. On the 4th year I took it in, same problem, they repaired the hard drive and the store manager said, I don't know what to tell you. I said I would like the newer one, bigger camera, thinking they might give me a discount on it. They gave me a brand new one, not refurbed. Love, Love, Love AppleCare.
- —Guest nrgdoc
Future Shop warranty worked
- Two years ago I bought FS warranties on two iPhone 4s. One home button stopped working and the phone was replaced. The power button on the new phone broke and it was replaced. Both replacements were 4Ses though one I chose to update to a 5 for $50 :-) Chances are I will be using the warranties again within the the next year. Not cheap, but neither are the phones or repairs. No complaints here.
- —Guest MBbayboy
Applecare is excellent
- I have always purchased Applecare for my more expensive Apple devices. You can purchase it at any time within the first year so there is no need to lay out cash at the time of purchase. It makes it easy to get technical support by phone without going into an Apple Store and you get the peace of mind that an extended warranty brings. After all, spares for iPhones, iPods, and Macs are serious money! Morw importantly, if you shop around or are a student it's a no brainer!
- —Guest Jason
Do it, if your Apple item is essential.
- I don't ever buy extended warranties, but AppleCare is good. They fix anything unless you get the thing wet. I have a $2000 MacBook. AppleCare for an additional 2 years was $350. Both those prices sound nuts. But I run my business out of my MacBook. So I feel good about it. Sometimes a repair on a MacBook involves replacing the main board which can be very expensive. I have had two MacBooks that needed this and AppleCare covered it.
- —Guest nworbmit
- With AT&T's so called "insurance", the extra $100 is definitely worth it! If you're careful with your phone then you have nothing to worry about, but accidents do happen. I have it for my iPad 2 as well.
- —Guest Mishel Saladino
AppleCare is good
- Yes, the level of service with AppleCare is way better than what everyone else receives. It's been worth the $99 for me.
- —Guest ed
- My iPhone 3GS was under the normal warranty and the battery is useless. I took it to an Apple Store where they said it had water damage so no repair. I do not even take the phone into the bathroom so how it got water damage is a mystery.
- —Guest Ian
AppleCare not a good deal
- I myself work in retail and as anyone who works in the electrical, electronics or computing section of a retail store knows, you are always forced to sell add ons and extended warranties. This means extra profit for the company. Usually if you look after your product it's extremely rare for anything to happen. And most of the times if something does happen it is because the consumer has not taken proper care of the product. In this case the extended warranty is not valid. So in other words you are just throwing away your money!
- —Guest Jimmy
Not at all
- I had an iPhone 3GS with AppleCare. My home button stopped working on the iPhone, and because i had a small crack in the upper screen, they ''determined'' that it was abused. Not worth it!
- —Guest Chris
- Great buy. I usually don't buy extended anything, but this one was easy. Great in-store service and with a smartphone you can have trouble that could be expensive. Get the AppleCare. Well, well worth it. Cheapest money you'll ever spend.
- —Guest Jerry
Not if you're in the EU
- In the EU Apple is forced to give consumers at least 2 years of warranty. So you're essentially paying for phone support.
- —Guest Jasper
- i got an ipod touch and it was good fir 2 years and 7 months battery was no problem yet suddnley it has fail as it now not power up and has static screen if pluged in to computer only 7 months out of applecare with no problems (warrenty chip is up i guess)
- —Guest des
Yes AppleCare is a Good Deal?
- It is a break even deal with me. I have always come out good on Apple care such as my 3 year old iPod 5G went haywire and I received a new looking iPod from Apple. Also the battery never lasts longer than about a year anyway so you can at least get a new battery every year. When Apple will let me change the battery myself then I may consider not to buy the extended warranty.