The iPhone 5S follows Apple's standard pattern of iPhone releases: The first model with a new number (iPhone 4, iPhone 5) introduces major new features and designs, while the the revision of that major-number model (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5s) adds useful, but not revolutionary, features and improvements. That doesn't mean the iPhone 5S isn't a valuable upgrade over its predecessor. It adds key features such as a 64-bit processor, an integrated fingerprint scanner, and a substantially upgraded camera.
iPhone 5S Hardware Features
Some of the most significant new features in the iPhone 5S are:
- Faster Apple A7 processor, which is the first 64-bit chip in a smartphone
- The M7, motion co-processor, which measures data from motion, accelerometer, compass, and more to enable new kinds of apps and contextual awareness
- Upgraded camera that produces more realistic photos and can take slow-motion video
- Fingerprint scanner built into Home button for use with security and instead of entering passwords.
Other elements of the phone are the same as on the iPhone 5, including the 4-inch Retina Display screen, 4G LTE networking, 802.11n Wi-Fi, panoramic photos, and the Lightning connector. Standard iPhone features such as FaceTime, A-GPS, Bluetooth, and audio and video, are all present, too.
Like previous models, the iPhone 5S has two cameras, one on its back and the other facing the user for FaceTime video chats. The cameras on the 5S capture photos and videos at the same resolutions as the iPhone 5, but offer a large number of under-the-hood improvements designed to lead to better photos:
- A larger aperture and image sensor
- Dual-flash LEDs for improved color fidelity
- Automatic image stabilization
- The camera now takes multiple photos, analyzes them, and provides the one that's truest to life
- Burst mode - take up to 10 photos per second
- Slow-motion video recording at 120 frames/second in 720p HD.
Significant software additions in the 5S, thanks to iOS 7, include:
- iTunes Radio
- Control Center
- Updated Camera and Photos apps
- FaceTime Audio
Capacity and Price
When bought with a two-year contract from a phone company, the iPhone 5S capacity and prices are:
16GB - US$199
32GB - US$299
64GB - US$399
Talk: 10 hours on 3G
Internet: 10 hours on 4G LTE, 8 hours on 3G, 10 hours on Wi-Fi
Video: 10 hours
Audio: 40 hours
Size and Weight
4.87 inches tall by 2.31 inches wide by 0.30 inches deep
Weight: 3.95 ounces
Release date: Sept. 20, 2013 in
The phone will be available in 100 countries by Dec. 2013.
Discontinued: N/A, still being sold
Starting with the iPhone 4S, Apple established a pattern of keeping its older models for sale, but at reduced prices. For instance, when the iPhone 5 was released the 4S and 4 were still available, for $99 and free (both with two-year contracts), respectively.
Thanks to the release of the iPhone 5C at the same time as the 5S, that pattern has changed. Now, the 8GB iPhone 4S will be available for free when purchased with a two-year contract.