The iPhone 4S, the successor to the iPhone 4, is marked by a number of under-the-hood improvements, as well as major software additions. The iPhone 4S is also the first iPhone to work officially on the Sprint network.
iPhone 4S Hardware Features
Among the most significant new features in the iPhone 4S are:
- Apple A5 processor - the same processor used in the iPad 2, which Apple says will make the iPhone 4S about twice as fast as the iPhone 4
- New dual-core graphics chip, which Apple touts as up to 7 times faster the iPhone 4
- GSM and CDMA compatibility in a single phone, meaning that the same phone will work on both kinds of networks, rather than requiring separate devices for AT&T and Verizon networks, as the iPhone 4 did
- Two antennas which work independently, to improve call quality and reliability
- Improved data speed, at up to 14.4 Mbps download (HSDPA)
- 8 megapixel camera, with improved color fidelity and sharpness, better whites, a new light sensor, faster speed in taking both the first photo and subsequent ones
- 1080p HD video recording with image stabilization
iPhone 4S Software Features
Significant software additions in the 4S include:
- Siri voice recognition
- AirPlay Mirroring
- Cards app
- Find My Friends app
- iOS 5 & iCloud support
Other elements of the phone are the same as on the iPhone 4, including the Retina Display screen, A-GPS, Bluetooth, audio and video support, and more.
iPhone 4S Capacity
16 GB - $199
32 GB - $299
64 GB - $399
iPhone 4S Battery Life
Talk: 8 hours on 3G, 14 hours on 2G
Internet: 6 hours on 3G, 9 hours on Wi-Fi
Video: 10 hours
Audio: 40 hours
Size and Weight
4.5 inches tall by 2.31 inches wide by 0.37 inches deep
Weight: 4.9 ounces
Release date: Oct. 14, 2011 in
The phone will debut on Oct. 28 in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lativa, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Additional countries will get the phone by the end of 2011.
Unlike in the past, when the introduction of a new model meant the previous one was discontinued, as of Oct. 2011, both the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are still being sold. The 8GB iPhone 3GS is now $0.99 with a two-year contract, while the 8GB iPhone 4 is $99 with a two-year contract.