To use Remote, you’ll need:
- A computer with iTunes (version 7.7 or higher) or AppleTV (software version 2.1 or higher) connected to a WiFi network
- An iPhone 3G, first-generation iPhone, or iPod touch running iPhone 2.0 software
- Remote installed on your phone/iPod
If you’ve got those things, here’s how you pair the devices and start controlling iTunes remotely.
- Download Remote from App Store (via desktop or over the air). If downloaded from desktop, install it on the phone.
- Connect your iPhone or iPod touch to the same wireless network that the computer or AppleTV you want to control is on.
- Tap the Remote icon on your phone. A four-digit passcode will appear on the screen.
- In the tray and the left of your iTunes Library, your phone will appear as a Device. Click on it.
- Enter the four-digit passcode from your phone’s screen into iTunes. The devices will then sync.
- The screen on your iPhone/iPod touch will display the contents of your iTunes library. From here, you can browse or search all the music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and other iTunes content you have on your computer. Use the onscreen menus to choose what to play, when to skip a song, etc.
- You can also customize the icons on the bottom of the screen.