To download programs from the iPhone App Store, you can browse through an iTunes Store-style experience on your desktop. But, like the iTunes WiFi Music Store, you can also browse the App Store on your iPhone 3G, first-generation iPhone, and iPod touch and install programs directly to your device over the air.
Follow these steps to browse content at the App Store and then wirelessly download and install them.
- Tap the App Store icon on your phone’s home screen.
- This will take you to the App Store. Icons along the bottom of the screen allow to select feature programs, search by categories, see the top 25 programs (both paid programs and free ones), search, and update programs already installed on your phone.
- Select the way you want to browse the App Store by tapping the appropriate icon at the bottom of the screen. You will see a list of programs or a search bar, depending on what you tap.
- When you find an application you want more information about, tap on it. This will bring you to a screen that describes the program, shows its user ratings, provides a screenshot and lets you download or buy it.
- If the app is free, there will be a “Free” button at the top of the screen. If you tap that button, in transforms into an “Install” button. Tap “Install” to download, install and begin using the program. If you don’t want to install it, just tap somewhere else on the page.
- If the program costs money, the application’s page will have a button listing its price. When you tap the price, the button changes to read “Buy Now.” Tap that to buy the program using your iTunes Store account and then download and install the program on your phone. If you don’t want to buy it, tap elsewhere on the screen.
- When you’ve installed your new programs, they’ll appear on your home screen, where they can be moved to other screens.