The screens that let you select what movies, TV shows, podcasts, and iTunes U content gets synced to your iPod touch all work essentially the same way, so I've combined them here.
- Sync - To sync any of these kinds of content, you must click the Sync Movies or Sync Podcasts, etc. buttons at the top of each screen. When you do that, other options will appear.
- To sync individual episodes, click the series on the left. This will show all available installments. Click the box to the right of the ones you want to sync.
- Automatically include - Check this to automatically sync content that matches these criteria: unwatched, newest, newest unwatched, oldest unwatched, and from all content or just selected items.
- Shows/Podcasts/Collections - Lists all of the series of each type that are in your iTunes library, as well as how many episodes and, with TV shows, what seasons. New or unwatched installments are marked with a blue dot next to them. Click each show/podcast/collection for the full list of that series.
- Include Episodes from Playlists - This applies to TV shows and podcasts only. Both of these kinds of content can be added to playlists. If you want to include episodes that are part of a playlist, check the box to the left of that playlist at the bottom of the screen.