The iPhone allows you to assign individual ringtones to be played when people from your Address Book call you. With this feature, you can play a love song when your significant other calls or "Take this Job and Shove It" whenever the boss calls you.
Assigning iPhone ringtones to individual contacts is easy. Here's how you do it.
- From the iPhone home screen, tap the Phone app.
- In the Phone app, tap Contacts in the bottom center of the screen.
- From your contacts list, tap the name of the person who you want to assign a ringtone to.
- When that person's contact information appears, tap the Edit button in the top right corner.
- When their contact information is editable, swipe down the screen until you get to the Ringtone section. You should find this just under the email section. Tap Ringtone.
When you do, the list of ringtones available on your iPhone is displayed. This includes all the ringtones and alert tones that come built into your iPhone, as well as any ringtones you've created or bought and synced to your phone. Tap on one to hear it play.
- When you have selected the ringtone you want to assign to that person, tap the Done (iOS 7) or Save (iOS 6 and earlier) in the top right corner to save your selection.
- Tap Done in the top right.
- Now, whenever that person calls you, you'll hear that ringtone. If you only give that person the tone, and don't assign it to anyone else, you'll be able to tell who's calling without even looking at the screen.