This major revision to iTunes added support for iTunes LP, a redesigned iTunes Store, new iPods, integration with social networking systems like Facebook and Twitter, and more. The new features include:
- A redesigned iTunes Store
- iTunes LP - a new offering at the iTunes Store. When buying an iTunes LP, the user not only gets the music from the album, but also receives liner notes, photos, text, and more. ITunes LPs tend to cost about the same as the standard album, up to a few dollars more.
- Facebook and Twitter integration to let users post iTunes Store media links to those social media services
- Improved syncing options for iPod and iPhone
- Improved management of movies and App Store programs on the desktop, not just on the iPhone or iPod
- The ability to re-arrange the iPhone or iPod touch homescreen from within the iTunes management screen, not just the device
- Genius Mixes - an add on to the iTunes Genius feature to create playlists of songs that Apple's software says will sound good together
- Home Sharing - A powerful feature that enables easy sharing of media between computers on the same network in the same house
- Extras content for movies from the iTunes Store, a la DVD extras but available as downloads
- Support for third-generation iPod touch and fifth-generation iPod nano
This version of iTunes was announced at the "It's Only Rock and Roll" media event.
Release Date: Sept. 9, 2009
Systems Supported: Mac OS X 10.4.11 and higher; Windows XP or Vista
Download: Download iTunes 9