The Bottom Line
- Speedy - moved 2.41GB in 15 minutes
- Moves album art, iBooks files, ringtones
- No way to tell at a glance what needs to be transferred
- No iPad support; requires a second purchase
- Doesn't tranfer ratings, playcounts
- Software to transfer music from iPod to computer
- Runs on Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista/7 (this review was done on Windows 7)
- Desktop software only, not an iPhone app
- Price: US$29.95
Guide Review - ImToo iPod Computer Transfer Review
Speedy, Complete Transfer
In my standard test--moving 590 songs/2.41 GB--it completed the transfer in 15 minutes, putting it squarely in the top half of programs tested. Unfortunately, it made that transfer without also moving ratings or playcounts. I couldn't find a way to transfer them using this program.
Strangely, despite selecting 590 files to move, iTunes only received 579 songs. I don't know what happened to the remaining 11, and ImToo iPod Computer Transer didn't report them as missing or errors.
Despite those problems, the software was able to move iBooks files, voice memos, ringtones, podcasts, and save photos and videos from the Camera Roll to the hard drive. It does not, however, move data like address book or calendar.
No iPad Support
While working fine with iOS-based devices like the iPod touch and iPhone, ImToo iPod Computer Transfer doesn't support the iPad. For that, you need to make a separate $40 purchase. Why that would be is unclear to me, since all the device use the same OS.
ImToo iPod Computer Transfer is a solid program, which offers good speed and a solid feature set. Its bugs, and the odd decision to make iPad support a separate (and more expensive) purchase hurt it, though.