Photo slideshows used to mean clunky carousels of slides and a projector (and, often, sitting through long, boring recitations of someone else's vacation). Not anymore--at least not if you've got an iPhone (or iPod touch or iPad). The Photos app built into the iOS has a feature that allows you to use your iPhone to show a slideshow or, in some cases, send your photos to an HDTV.
There are two groups of settings that control your iPhone slideshows: one that governs all slideshows, the other that handles just the one you're using at a given time.
To control the settings for every slideshow you want to display on your phone:
- Tap the Settings app on your home screen
- Scroll down to Photos and tap it
- In the Slideshow section of this screen, there are three options:
- Play Each Slide For - Tap this item to choose how long each photo will be show (options are 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds)
- Repeat - Keep Off to prevent the app from showing the same photo more than once, but turn the slider On if that doesn't matter to you
- Shuffle - This slider controls whether your photos are shown in the order they were taken (Off) or are shuffled and shown in a random order (On).
Individual Slideshow Settings
To control the settings of an individual slideshow, when you start that slideshow (more on that in a moment), you'll have the following options:
- Transitions - Control how images will disappear and appear. Use these effects to make the transition from one photo to the next more visually interesting
- Play Music - Slide to On to play music from your iTunes library during the slideshow. With this on, a Music menu appears. Select songs, albums, or playlists to accompany the slideshow.
Starting a Slideshow On An iOS Device
To begin a slideshow from the iPhone photos app, go to the Photos app, tap the Photo Album that contains the photos you want to show. Then tap on the photo you want to begin the slideshow with. On the screen that displays the photo, tap the play button (the sideways triangle) in the center of the bottom bar. This brings you to the settings screen just described. Choose the settings you want and tap the Start Slideshow button.
Slideshow On HDTV
If your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network and there's another AirPlay-compatible device on that network, you can send your slideshow to the AirPlay device. When that device is connected to your HDTV (such as with the 2nd generation Apple TV), you can display your photos on the big screen. To do this:
- Make sure you're connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the AirPlay device
- Go to the Photos app and select the proper Photo Album
- Tap the photo you want to start with
- Tap the AirPlay icon--a rectangle with a triangle pushing into the bottom of it--and select the device you want to send the photos to
- Then tap the sideways triangle play button to begin the slideshow