Last Updated: April 9, 2014
The iPhone goes to sleep by default after it's been inactive for a certain period of time. But even though it consumes much less battery life when it's asleep, there may be circumstances--especially when the phone's battery is particularly low--in which you want to completely turn off iPhone.
If you're in one of those situations, just follow these steps:
- Start by holding down the sleep/wake button at the top right-hand corner of the iPhone for a few seconds.
- This will bring up a screen with a slider at the top that reads slide to power off.
- If you don't want to turn off your iPhone, you can get out of this screen by tapping the Cancel button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you do want to shut down, though, move the slider to the right.
- After you do this, a progress wheel will appear in the center of the screen and in a few seconds, the iPhone will turn off.
When you're ready to use the phone again, turn it on by:
- Holding down the sleep/wake button until the Apple icon appears on the screen.
- When the icon appears, let the button go and then wait for the phone to start up.
This technique to turn off iPhone applies to every iPhone model, from the original to the latest version.