While many people add images to their iPhone or iPod touch using desktop photo management software like iPhoto, that’s not the only way to add images to an iPhone. Using iTunes, you can also sync folders of images from your hard drive and keep them organized as folders on your iPhone.
Time Required: A couple of minutes
- Begin by creating a folder on your computer. Create it wherever you like (if it’s just to add the images, putting it on your desktop may be easiest, but if you plan to use this folder in the future, creating it in a place that makes sense with how you use your files is better).
- Then fill the folder with the images you want to add to your iPhone (drag and drop, save them from an image editor or the web, etc.). It will be easiest if these images are in the iPod touch/iPhone’s screen resolution - 320 x 480 pixels – but since the iPhone can zoom around images, it’s not required.
- Once you’ve got all the images in the folder, sync your iPhone.
- When it’s done syncing, don’t eject or disconnect it. Instead, go to the Photos tab in the iPhone management screen. Make sure you have “Sync Photos” turned on. Click “Choose Folder” from the drop-down list. This will pop up a window for you to navigate through your hard drive and select the folder you just created.
- If the selected folder has folders within it, you’ll then be asked to choose to sync All Folders or Selected Folders. If you choose Selected Folders, you’ll get a list of the sub-folders contained in the folder you chose. Check the ones you want to sync.
- Once you’ve completed your selections, click the “Sync” button in the bottom-right corner of iTunes to add the images to your iPhone. When the sync is complete, you can disconnect your iPhone.
- To find the photos you’ve just synced, go to the Photos application on your homescreen (unless you’ve re-arranged your apps). On the main Photos screen, you’ll see groups of photos. One will be Camera Roll (which is where any photos taken with the iPhone’s camera are stored). The others will be the folders you’ve just added. Tap them to view those photos.