Syncing apps, movies, music, and books to the iPad is a snap: just plug the cable into the iPad dock connector and into your computer's USB port and syncing will happen automatically. But, if you want more choice when it comes to what apps are synced to your iPad, you need to use the options for syncing apps.
A management screen appears when you sync your iPad with tabs at the top. One of these tabs is "Applications" - where you update app sync settings.
- To sync apps, you must have the "Sync Applications" box at the top of the screen checked. If it's not checked, no apps will be synced to your iPad.
- Whenever you get a new app from the App Store, it is automatically set to sync to your iPad.
- To remove an app from your iPad (but without deleting it from your hard drive), uncheck the box next to the app on the management screen.
- You can re-arrange apps on your homescreen or others screens by dragging and dropping them. You can also add additional screens that way.
- To permanently delete an app from your computer (if you decide later that you want it back, you can redownload apps for free, even paid apps), you don't use the iPad management screen. Instead, click the Applications icon in the tray at the left-hand side of the iTunes window. You'll see a list of all the apps on your hard drive. Single click the app to highlight it and then either right click and choose "delete" or click the "delete" key on your keyboard. Confirm the deletion and it will be gone.
When you're done, save your changes and add or remove apps by clicking the "Apply" button in the bottom right corner of the iTunes window.