If you're the proud owner of a new iPod, the first question you may ask when you get it home is how do I connect my iPod to my PC? Luckily, as long as you've got an Internet connection, you've got everything you need--and the process is pretty easy.
Time Required: A few minutes
You may already have iTunes installed on your PC. If not, download it from Apple (it's free) and install it.
- Next, open the iPod box. Inside, you'll find the iPod and a USB cable. That cable will have a USB icon on the smaller, longer end (the icon looks like a three-pronged pitchfork with an arrow in the middle) and a wide, flat dock connector on the other.
- Plug the dock connector end of the cable into the dock connector slot on the bottom of your iPod (the iPod Shuffle doesn't use a dock connector. Connect it by plugging the included cable into the headphone jack). Then plug the USB end of the cable into a USB port on your PC.
When you do this, iTunes should automatically launch, if it's not already running. Your iPod's screen will light up, too.
ITunes will then take you through the process of setting up your iPod:
And with that, your iPod is set up and ready for use. Some next steps you may want to take include:
- Now, each time you want to add or remove content from your iPod, plug it in to your PC and manage what's being synced to it in iTunes.
What You Need:
- An iPod
- An iPod cable (included)
- Internet connection (to download iTunes and use iTunes Store)
- iTunes account (to use iTunes Store)