Just like with an iPod and or iPhone, when Apple releases updates to the version of the iOS that runs the Apple TV, the update usually brings valuable new features with it. The best example is the Apple TV Take 2 update, which added movie rentals, HD support, direct purchase from the iTunes Store, and more.
So, if you want to update your Apple TV software, here's how you do it:
- From the main Apple TV menu, choose the Settings menu at the far right.
- In the menu that drops down below Settings, choose General.
- In the next menu, scroll down to Update Software and select it.
- The Apple TV will connect to the Internet and check to see if there are updates to its software.
- If there are, it will give you the option to "Download and Install" them now or "Update Later."
- If you choose to download the updates now, they will be downloaded and installed automatically (you'll see a progress bar on screen). Your Apple TV will then restart and you'll be using the new software.