One of the first questions a new iPod nano owner may have is how do you download songs onto an iPod nano?
Downloading or adding songs to a nano, a process called syncing, is the main way to move music from your iTunes library to your iPod (it's also the way you add anything else to your iPod, too--podcasts, photos, etc.--and charge its battery).
Syncing is very simple and, once you’ve done it the first time, you’ll hardly need to think about it again. It will just become the natural way to manage your nano.
To start, you'll need to have iTunes installed on your computer (though you've probably already done that). You'll also need to make sure you've got some music in your iTunes library to download to your nano.
With that done, connect your iPod to your computer. You'll do this by plugging the cable that came with your nano into the dock connector on its bottom, and the other end of the cable into a USB port on your computer. If iTunes isn’t already running, it will start when you plug in the nano.
(You've probably already set up your nano, but if not, follow the onscreen instructions in iTunes to set it up.)
- When the nano is plugged in (and, if you needed to, set up), you'll see the iPod management screen. It shows a picture of your nano and has tabs across the top for managing different kinds of content. "Music" is the first tab. Click it.
In the Music tab, your options are:
- Sync Entire Library, which syncs all the music in your iTunes library to your iPod. This works when your iTunes library is smaller than your nano's capacity. If it's not, only a portion of your library will be synced to the nano.
- Sync Selected playlists, artists, and genres gives you more choice about what music goes on your iPod.
- Include music videos syncs videos if you have any.
- Automatically fill free space with songs always keeps your nano full.
- You can also select specific playlists, genres, or artists in the boxes at the bottom of the screen.
Some other options for managing the music on your nano include:
Once you've made all your selections and decided what songs to download onto your nano, click the "Apply" button at the bottom right of the iTunes window. This will download songs onto your iPod nano. How long it takes depends on how many songs you're downloading.
Once the sync is complete, click the eject icon next to the nano in the left-hand sidebar of iTunes and you'll be ready to use your nano!
What You Need
- A computer with iTunes installed
- Music in your iTunes library
- An iPod nano