Some predictions were fulfilled, others were nowhere to be seen, but here are the new products, software, and services announced by Apple at the Macworld Expo today:
- iPhone software 1.1.3 available now. New features include:
- location awareness
- customizable home screen and multiple home screens
- multi-recipient SMS
- lyrics display in iPod
- iPhone SDK coming in late February
- 4 million iPhones sold to date.
- iTunes Movie Rentals offers movies from from Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, Lionsgate, New Line, Fox, Warner Bros. Disney, Paramount, Universal, and Sony.
- Launches with over 1,000 movies. New movies debut on iTunes 30 days after their DVD release.
- $2.99 for most movies, $3.99 for new releases. 30 Days to start watching movie, 24 hours to finish.
- Available today in the U.S, later this year for International. Also available: iPod, iPhone, and iTunes updates to support it.
- iTunes Digital Copy launches; this provides an iPod-compatible version of movies on some purchased DVDs.
- New version of iTunes -- 7.6 -- needed to support it. Available through Software Update now.
- New version, dubbed Take 2. No computer required. Rent movies directly from it. Plays podcasts, Flickr feeds.
- HD video rentals for $4.99. 100 titles available today.
- Music can be bought usng AppleTV.
- Price cut to $229 from $299 on low-end model.
- New features are added via free software update, available in 2 weeks.
iPod Touch News
- New programs: Maps, Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather. A $20 upgrade for current owners.